Help Support the Friends of the Andover Public Library with your Dillons Card.
Torn Away by Jennifer Brown
In the small town of Elizabeth, Missouri, Jersey Cameron lived a seemingly normal, uninteresting life…until now. Since she was a little girl, she has loved storms & Elizabeth had them, and then had some more. One evening changed everything for her. When Elizabeth is crushed by a twister, Jersey looses everything; her mother, sister, and her only home. Faced with all of this destruction, will Jersey be able to deal with her guilt of not being able to say her last goodbyes? Forced to live with her cold grandparents and the father that abandoned her, can she find a family to replace the one she lost in the destruction and a clearer picture of what is now gone? A truly gripping, emotional, and truthful book full of life lessons everyone needs to discover.
(Reviewed by Anna Wilson)
Check them out!
By Jennifer Brown
Name: Benjamin C. Snider
Position at the library: Circulation Librarian & Passport Agent
1. How long have you been at APL? Help! I’ve been trapped by evil libr—– Since I was born; I grew up in the library. I have worked 5 years here and volunteered for 2 years previous.
2. What’s your favorite thing about APL? The bribes, definitely. (Note from Tori: He’s kidding.)
3. What is your favorite book and why? Never ask a librarian this question, there are too many. The Hobbit or anything by C.S. Lewis
4. Do you have any other book or author recommendations? Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, Weird Life by David Toomey, Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson, Our Town by Thornton Wilder, and Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku.
5. Do you have any hobbies? (Besides reading?) Ultimate Frisbee, and trail running are recent additions; I also enjoy Settlers of Catan, board games, strategy games, mountain biking, bonfires, and I’ll play any pickup sport but I’m not that good at most of them.
6. If you weren’t a librarian, what would you be? Batman, or wait maybe I am already?
7. What’s your favorite food? Ice cream, preferably all natural, but I’m not picky. There’re so many flavors and you can eat it with everything.
8. What is the funniest experience you’ve ever had at the library? Sometimes, people call us when they REALLY want the Andover, MA, library. One time, one of these mistaken callers asked if I could transfer her to them. Also, giving them directions is great, since I’ve never been any of the places they want directions to, but I try to cobble something together using Google Maps Streetview.
9. What does your dream library look like? A quiet hum, there are lots of people; programming robots, using 3D printers, reading books, drinking coffee, kids at story time, but it’s still cozy so you can still find a corner to hide in with all of your favorite books.
10. Talk about other stuff you like (movies, TV, music, games, etc.) Movies aren’t really my thing but I do like How to Train Your Dragon, and Megamind. I don’t really watch TV so no recommendations there, although I have been known to watch the occasional Big Bang Theory or Battlestar Galactica episode. I’m a big fan of the Civilization and Total War PC game franchises, and the card game Dominion.
|This was actually a work-related task. Best Job Ever.|
If you need community service hours for scouts, school, or a club, consider joining Andover Public Library’s new Teen Volunteer Team.
The APL Teen Volunteer Team is open to…
- Teens who want to volunteer (NOT because their parents are making them do it!)
- Teens entering 7th-12th grade
- Teens who are reliable and motivated
- Teens with all sorts of talents and interests
Teen volunteers can keep shelves neat, contribute to the library blog, plan and help with programs, decorate for events, create library displays, and more.
Long-term, short-term, and one-time-only opportunities.
All activities optional.
Stop by the Teen Volunteer Drive to learn more.
Tuesday, February 4, OR Wednesday, February 5
Come and go between 4:00PM and 5:00PM
- Librarians will be available to answer questions.
- Pick up an application or informational brochure.
- Snacks will be served.
- Bring a friend and you both could win a $5 Barnes and Noble gift card.
We hope to see you there!